While Australian society has seen many changes in recent years, the value Australians place on their relationships with their pets remains constant. Pets are part of the family in 63% of Australian households, providing benefits to their owners and the communities they are part of.
Pet Ownership In Australia
- 12 million Australians are associated with pets.
- 63% of the 7.5 million households in Australia own pets.
- Australia has one of the highest incidence of pet ownership in the world.
- Typically, the major carer of the pet is female, married with children, living in the suburbs and most likely employed.
- 91% of pet owners report feeling 'very close' to their pet, reinforcing that pets are an integral member of the family unit, however constituted.
- Pets were a normal part of childhood for more than 83% of Australians.
- Of the Australians who do not currently own a pet, 53% would like to do so in the future.